Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Chickened!!!





Here are the newest members of our flock!  Yesterday we welcomed chickens to the Stamps house. The boys are so excited. They want to be out in the coop all day chasing, holding, petting, and feeding them.  They just can't get enough and honestly it's hard to resist just watching all they do, especially the mother of the chicks. The breeds we got are white silkie, a black jersey giant, a mixed silkie and an aracona-silkie mix. I can't remember what the momma hen is and  her 6 chicks are yet to be determined. The chicks are just a couple days old. So FUN!!! The eggs will be brown and blue. We should get about 5 eggs a week from each hen and then the chicks will start laying eggs in about 6 months. We thought this would be a great adventure and, needless to say, learning experience for the kids. I'm sure mom and dad will learn a little too.    

2 comments:

Kellye said...

Good luck with your chickens. You are braver than I am. I bet the boys are loving it,

Anonymous said...

Crazy is the word that came to my mind... we used to have chickens when I was a kid. I'm sure I gave more than my share of chickens heart attacks!